0.8 to 3 microns (a micron or micrometer
is one millionth of a meter). Smoke particles are about half
a micrometer in size.
Energy per photon:
1 electron volt
Generally safe, very high intensity can
- TV remote controls
- The Sun
- Plants with chlorophyll (highly reflective in near
- Laser diodes used in fiber optics for telephone
- Computer ports with infrared ports
- Digital cameras
- Many video cameras
- Printers with infrared receivers
- Infrared astronomy cameras
|Image courtesy of NOAO/AURA/NSF.
|Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF).
Photo courtesy of Ball Aerospace and Technologies Corporation.